Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ten on Tuesday: 10 Reasons to Love Bacon

This week's 'Ten on Tuesday' topic is "10 Reasons to Love Bacon!" Um, do we really need 10 spots on that list? It's BACON! Then I started thinking ... I guess I could give you 10 ~ways~ to eat it that would make you love it. Yeah, that's it!

1. Plain old crispy bacon ... that crispy-yet-chewy texture, the salty tang, the smoky goodness. Mmmmmm, makes me wish I had some in the refrig!!

2. On a BLT ... the summer classic. With crisp lettuce, creamy mayo (my preference is Miracle Whip), a fat juicy tomato (preferably right from the garden), and a couple of nice thick slices of crispy bacon. Summertime in a sandwich right there!

3. Crumbled on a salad ... can't beat that salty bacon flavor in every mouthful of a gorgeous garden salad!

4. Wrapped around a scallop (or a shrimp) ... the sweetness of the scallop, the saltiness of the bacon. Pure pleasure in your mouth. My secret ingredient is brown sugar, lightly sprinkled over the top before you broil them. Yumm!

5. Rolled up inside chicken & smothered in cheese, maybe with some chopped up spinach or asparagus.

6. Wrapped around a bunch of asparagus and grilled.

8. Sauteed with vegetables & used in a soup base ... those little crunchy bits of smoky salty goodness sure do impart a ton of flavor into soups (and sauces)!

9. In an egg sandwich ... can't have a fried egg sandwich without bacon! There's just something about bacon and eggs, really. Doesn't matter how you cook them, they just go together.

10. In a chocolate bar ... ok, so I haven't actually tried this, but all my favorite food-network stars have raved about bacon flavored chocolate. I am dying to try it, but haven't seen it locally yet. Maybe I need to expand my search ...

2 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Next time I go to Whole Foods I will pick you up a Mo's Bacon Bar.

Strickmuse said...

Yummy #5 - which I have actually planned for tonight's dinner.