Thursday, September 30, 2010

Knit Progress

So, I learned to knit back in January. In the past nine months I've knit (and completed) 31 projects!! 31!!

I've done 2 sleeveless sweaters, 2 skirts & 2 babydoll tops, a shrug, 3 pairs of socks, 5 hats, 2 scarves, a rectangular lace shawl, 2 triangular lace shawls, an afghan, a baktus scarf, a baby blanket, and a handful of dishcloths!

I can hardly believe I've been so productive :) Lots of the items were gifts, and it felt so good to give something that I made. I made a cotton shrug to keep my Mom's shoulders warm, and I'm so very glad that I was able to make her something pretty before she passed. I made Shawn's Mom a pretty green rectangular lace shawl for her birthday. I made Katelyn a purple afghan for her bed. I made both girls a baby doll top and a cheerleader style skirt. I made Jake a couple of "man" dishcloths, plus 2 for Shawn's Mom & a few for myself. I made myself a couple of sleeveless summer tops, a baktus scarf, 3 pairs of socks, and a triangular lace shawl. My grand-niece Taylor got a baby blanket w/ cute flowers. I also have a few gifts stashed away for later in the mix as well.

I'm currently working on another pair of socks ... 'Bad Moon Rising' is the name of the pattern & the yarn is a gorgeous blend of Halloween colors. This project is my first attempt at cables. I have some yarn on order for another lace shawl for a dear friend, and some for a cool mitten & hat set for myself.

It feels good to have a craft I'm loving ... and it's very relaxing to sit and knit. If the pattern is easy, then I can knit and watch TV ... if it's more challenging, then I focus on the pattern & stitches, which takes my mind off everything else.

I sat and knit at my Mom's bedside during the last few months of her life, so every time I pick up my needles, I know I'll be thinking of my Mom with some very fond memories.

A huge thank you to my friend Carole, who taught me to knit and got me to be a yarn snob (what can I say, I *love* nice yarn)! Shawn's still not sure he's thankful, though ...

1 comment:

Carole Knits said...

Are you going to turn this into a knitting blog?!? Yay you for all you've done but I can't believe it was 9 months ago that we sat on my couch together while you learned to knit.