Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ten on Tuesday: 10 Favorite Games From Your Childhood

My brothers were quite a bit older than I was (9, 13, and 17 years) so by the time I was old enough to actually play games, they were pretty much gone! That left me & my Mom, and sometimes my Dad. I remember wanting to play cards with my brothers when I was 5 or 6, and I always fell for "52 Pick-Up!" Needless to say, that is NOT on my list ...

1. Gin Rummy/Rummy 500 ... my Mom and I would play these for hours. ... still love it!
2. Cribbage ... my Dad was super good at Cribbage. I always was amazed at how he just *knew* the point count without having to say, 'fifteen two, fifteen four, a run of three ...!'
3. Monopoly ... this was usually reserved for when I had a friend over, as my Mom hated Monopoly!
4. Scrabble ... still my favorite game. Ever.
5. Hopscotch ... even though I could never remember how to draw out the squares, I would grab a stick and try to scratch them into the dirt of our side yard.
6. Trouble ... loved that 'pop' sound the little bubble made!
7. Parchesi ... still like this game :)
8. Operation ... it takes a steady hand ... and I so didn't have one!
9. Rack-o ... another game I played with my Dad. I used to watch him & my Mom playing with their friends on Sunday evening card/game nights and wish I was old enough to play. I still love this game!!
10. Clue ... I was thrilled when I got a Clue game for Christmas one year, and tried to get my Mom to play with me every chance I got. She hated it, though, so I generally only got to play when a friend came over. And then it was hard to choose between this & Monopoly!

What a great way to reminisce about childhood :) So many awesome memories of playing games w/ my Mom, my Dad, sometimes my brothers, and friends. Also brought back alot of memories of watching my parents play with their friends. Ah, game night, a timeless classic!

1 comment:

Carole Knits said...

Does Shawn like to play games? If he does we should have a game night and play Racko!