Saturday, May 07, 2011

Short and Sweet Socks

Most sock patterns are too long for my liking. I like socks that are just above my ankle. I came up with a pattern for myself, and thought I'd share it for anyone else who likes short socks :)



I use fingering or sock yarn and US2 needles. Directions are for magic loop, but could easily be adjusted for dpn's or 2 circs.

Using long-tail cast on, CO 64 stitches, placing marker after32 stitches to make it easier to separate the stitches on the needles. K2P2 rib for 10 rows. Do next 20 or 25 rows (depending on how short you like your socks) in stockinette stitch.

Turn Heel:
Turn work so you are working on wrong side ... S1, P16, P2tog, P1
Row 1: S1, K3, SSK, K1
Row 2: S1, P4, P2tog, P1
 Continue working in this manner by K or P to the stitch before the gap and either SSK, K1 or P2tog, P1 - you will have 18 stitches left when you are finished.
Rearrange stitches so that the beginning of the round starts in the middle of the heel.

Pick up and knit 18 stitches along the side of the heel flap. (My friend Carole taught me to knit into the back loop on each of these stitches to give a pretty twist to the stitch.) Place marker. Knit across the top of the sock, place marker, and then pick up and knit 18 stitches on the other side of the heel flap. Knit the last 9 stitches of the heel flap.

Gusset Decreases:
Row 1: Knit the 9 stitches of the heel flap, knit to the last 3 gusset stitches, K2tog, K1. Knit across instep stitches, K1, SSK, knit the rest of the gusset stitches and the last 9 stitches of the heel.
Row 2: Knit all stitches.
Repeat these 2 rows until you are left with 64 stitches. Knit next 40 - 50 rows in stockinette (depending on the length of your foot - you should be approx. 2 inches from finished length).

Toe Decreases:
Rearrange stitches so beginning of round starts at the edge of the foot.
Row 1: 1st needle: K1, SSK, knit to last 3 stitches, K2tog, K1
2nd needle: K1, SSK, knit to last 3 stitches, K2tog, K1.
Row 2: Knit all stitches.
Repeat these 2 rows until you are left with 36 stitches, then repeat just row 1 (decrease round) until there are 20 stitches left.
Kitchener toes together.

4 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Look at you go! Writing patterns now and everything!!

Anonymous said...

I don't see any directions for the heel flap in your pattern, yet you reference 'picking up 18 stitches along the side of the heel flap."
Could you clarify this for me?
Thank you :)
Carol

KenziKat said...

KnitWit - tried to e-mail you, but couldn't. Sorry for the confusion! I completely left out the heel flap ... should read:

For the heel flap:
Work on just one half of the stitches ...
Row 1: Slip 1, P to end
Row 2: *Slip 1, K1* repeat to end
Repeat these 2 rows 15 times for a total of 30 rows

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for replying so quickly! I'm new to socks,and was wondering if it was just me...I kept re-reading the pattern:) I have half my stitches cast on and am now ready to go!